Friday, January 14, 2022

Well, I did a thing yesterday.

I bought a chicken coop.  Ordered one online, actually.  It should be here in a few days.

Some assembly required.

I have been wanting chickens for years.  Actually, what I want is "yard eggs," but the answer to the age-old "which came first" question is "chickens." 

This chicken coop is likely a piece of sh*t that will fall apart the first year.  I read the reviews of about a dozen coops, and they were all bad - "flimsy," "pieces don't fit together," etc.  I considered building one from scratch, but the cost calculated to about 3 times what I paid for this one.  Anyway, with all of the critters in the neighborhood - foxes, owls, armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, otters, snakes, raccoons - the coop will probably outlast the chickens.

Now, I just gotta find some chickens.  I would kind of like to try starting from scratch, hatching eggs.  On the other hand, it might be nice to buy some full-grown chickens (a friend would sell me some) and get right down to business. 

In any case, it will probably take a month to get the coop set up.  Since this was not The Husband's idea, he will not be anxious to tackle this project.  Before that happens, we will need to de-junk the area where I intend to put the coop, which most likely will require a trailer and a trip to the dump.  He will not be gung-ho to tackle this, either, though it needs to happen, chickens or not.  











No comments:

Post a Comment