Saturday, January 8, 2022

'Tis the Gift to be Simple - January 8, 2002

A few nights ago, I wrangled control of the TV remote(s) while The Husband was out of the room, and loaded up a documentary about the Shakers.  The Shakers in America were an off-shoot of the Quakers and aspired to the same simple lifestyle, with one addition: they were celibate.  By the time this film was made, there were only a few Shakers left - like, maybe, four or five, all women, all of whom were orphaned as children and were adopted by the Shaker community.   

I was working on a cross-stitch project while this documentary was running, and so I heard more than I saw.  One thing I heard was "Tis the gift to be simple...."  And that song has run in my brain ever since.

I've loved that tune ever since I first heard it as a kid.

Today, I picked it out on the mandolin.   








No comments:

Post a Comment