Friday, April 23, 2021

Butterbeans, Green Beans, and Cucumbers - April 23, 2021

 

The Boss turned me loose after lunch, and I came home and mowed our yard.  Man, it was dusty under the trees, where the grass doesn't grow very well.   

After I finished mowing, I went down to the garden to plant the butterbeans.  The weather forecast was predicting rain for Friday and Saturday, and I wanted to get the seeds in the ground before it rained.  I'd bought a half pound of butterbeans, thinking that would do the two rows we'd prepared, but I was wrong; it only did one row.  I've ordered another 1/2 pound.  Maybe I'll wait a couple of weeks to plant them so that the whole crop doesn't come in at once.

While I was in planting mode, I went ahead and planted the pole green beans.  

I also raked up some hills for the squash, zucchini, and cucumbers.  There was a package of old cucumber seeds in my apron pocket, so I planted them in the cucumber hills.  They are last year's seeds - or maybe even older than that - and may not come up.  If they don't sprout, I've still got time to get new seeds.

About all I have left to plant is the okra.  I may wait for the weather to get (and stay) a little warmer before I plant okra seeds.

I pulled the pine straw off of the tomatoes and peppers.  They fared well in the cold snap.  

Granddaughter #2 had a softball game last night.  I thought it started at 7:30, and so when I finished in the garden, I came home and relaxed for a while.  When The Husband came home at 6, I reminded him of the ball game, and double-checked the time, and discovered that the game was at 6, not 7:30.  We hurried to the ballpark and got there in time to see her pitch a couple of innings.  Bless her heart . . . her team lost.  After the game, her little freckle-sprinkled face was so sad, and she was so down on herself.  She'd only pitched a couple of the innings, and she'd done as well as the other pitchers, but she felt like it was her fault the team had lost.  We gave her a pep talk and kissed her goodbye.  



No comments:

Post a Comment