Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Play Ball! - April 7, 2021

 

Last night was the season opener for LouLou's softball team.  The weather was absolutely perfect; the teams, not so much.  ;)  LouLou played all over the field - short stop, left field, second base.  She got a good hit, struck out, walked.  I have no clue which team won, for I was playing with her younger sisters on the back side of the field and only paid attention to the game when LouLou was up to bat.

I love softball season, just as I loved baseball season when my sons were little.  Fresh air.  Sunshine.  Little kids strutting around in their uniforms.  The noise of the crowd when something happens.  No supper-cooking.  (I slipped away during the last inning to beat the ball-field traffic to a drive-thru window.)

On the way to the ball field, I saw Mr. Vernon planting seeds in his vegetable garden and wondered if he had checked the almanac to see if it was a good planting day.  Last weekend when we went to retrieve our tomato plants from Uncle Jack's greenhouse, we had a discussion about planting days.  He said that last year his running beans bloomed their heads off but produced very few beans.  A seasoned gardener later told Uncle Jack that he had planted on a "bloom day."  I had never heard of such a thing.  Uncle Jack showed me his planting calendar, which indicated that next weekend (the 17th-18th) will be perfect days to plant the garden.

Hopefully, our tomato plants will survive until then.  So far, they are looking very healthy - nice, strong stems and dark green leaves.  They've been living on our front porch in the daytime since we brought them home, but I've been bringing them in at night, except for last night (I forgot to bring them in).  It's supposed to storm tonight.  Remind me to bring them in when I come home from work.  ;)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment