Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Cold Snap - April 20, 2021

 

The TV weather-forecasters are saying that it could frost tonight.  Might rain a little, too.  

I'll need to cover my tomatoes and peppers.  

Yesterday afternoon I went down to Nanny's and raked up another wagon-load of pine straw to spread over the plants.  

The butterbeans came in the mail yesterday.  I want to get the fencing up before I plant them.  The fence is supposed to be here Thursday.   It's supposed to rain this weekend, and I would really like to get the beans in the ground before that happens.  

The zinna seeds I planted last weekend have sprouted.  

The dill is also sprouting.

The larkspur seeds (which I planted at the same time I planted the tomato seeds) never did sprout.  Contrary things.

In my yard, I have a large flower bed that is mostly tall phlox.  The bed doesn't get much full sun, and so the phlox grow tall, and when they bloom they drape across the path between the bed and the house. To be honest, they look kind of cool draped over the path, but we have to fight our way through them to mow the path.  Yesterday, I performed an experiment: I cut about a foot off of the plants closest to the path, hoping that they will bush out and not grow so tall.  I'll let you know how that works come June/July, when they bloom.

I need a new weed-eater, preferably an electric one.  We have a big, gas-powered monstrosity that I can neither crank (because my arms are too short) nor use for more than a few minutes at a time.  We also have a battery-powered weed-eater that doesn't have enough "oomph" to whack down anything very substantial, and the battery doesn't last long enough to even do the walkway in front of the house.  We used to have an electric weed-eater, but it is nowhere to be found in the shed.  I suspect one of my children has it.  It's easier to go buy a new one than to shake the kids down for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment