Monday, April 5, 2021

Easter Weekend - April 5, 2021

 

Busy weekend!

I spent half of the day Saturday making dishes for Easter dinner.  Worked on my totem for part of the day.  Late in the afternoon, The Husband and I went over to Uncle Jack's to pick up the tomato seedlings he had been babysitting for me.  He took good care of them.  The seedlings looked great - their stems had grown stout, and they'd put on their first set of real leaves.  

Yesterday, I finished the cooking.  Over-cooked the ham, as usual.  I probably could've skipped the ham altogether and just made a bigger meatloaf, for the meatloaf disappeared right away.

It was good to have all of my kids and grandkids, except for The Grandson, who was with his mother.  

* * * * * * * *

 A couple of weeks ago, PBS aired a documentary about Flannery O'Connor.  I'd heard the name, but had never read anything she'd written, so that night before I went to bed I downloaded a book of her short stories.  Since then, I've read one or two of her stories every night.  They are a little dark for my tastes.  She kills off somebody in nearly every story.  (In the one I read last night, a grandfather killed his favorite grandchild by knocking her in the head with a rock.)  She does have a way with words, though.

* * * * * * * * 

The "totem" is coming along.  I am using one of the straight, smooth, crape myrtle limbs from Nanny's trees.  I peeled off the bark with a pocket knife, drew some figures on the wood with a pencil, and started taking off the material between the figures with a dremel tool.   Mostly, I am just learning what each little attachment does, but I am having big fun with it.  It's one of those activities that puts me in "the zone."  I could do it all day.  I don't know what I'm going to do with this thing once it is finished.  The stick has begun to split at the bottom and will probably split all the way to the top, but I am going to keep working on it just to learn to use the tools.






No comments:

Post a Comment