Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Tilling - April 14, 2021

 

I said to The Husband Monday night, "We really need to get the garden ready to plant this weekend."  He agreed, and said he would come home a little early Tuesday afternoon to get started.  By the time I got home, he was dressed for gardening and ready to get to work.

Although he had watched some instructional videos, we had not attempted to hook up the new pull-behind-the-tractor tiller.  I did not expect it to be that big of a deal.  I was wrong.  That's all I'm saying about that.  

As soon as we got there, Nanny came out to "help."  That's all I'm saying about that, too.  ;)

Eventually, The Husband said, "Call Matt."

Matt knows how to do everything, and he knows a lot about tractors and farm machinery (he's a farmer, himself.).  We needed both his muscle and his expertise.  I called him, but he didn't answer.  I figured he was on a tractor, tilling up his own garden.

Then, across the road, I heard Cousin Roger outside.  I knew he'd had a little bit of experience hitching things to tractors back in the day.  I made him come help us, and with his extra muscle we were able to get the tiller hitched to the tractor.

About that time, my phone rang.  Matt.  The Husband (whom Matt calls "Pa") told Matt he hoped we had the thing hitched up right.  Matt said he was in the vicinity - he'd been to get a load of rabbit poop from somebody - I'd had no clue there was that much rabbit poop in our vicinity - and he'd come take a look.  He helped us fine-tune the placement of the tiller in relation to the rear of the tractor, and hung around a while to watch as The Husband began the tilling process.  

I told Matt it sure is good to have a spare son.  ;)  

The Husband tilled the garden until dark.  It needs more tilling, but it rained today, so it'll be a few more days before we can tackle it again.  

I may plant these tomatoes and peppers in mud if the garden doesn't dry up by the end of the weekend.

My running butterbean seeds should be here by the weekend, but I'm not planting them until the soil is perfect.  




No comments:

Post a Comment