Saturday, April 3, 2021

Easter Dinner Prep - April 3, 2021

 

It seems like forever since we've hosted Easter dinner at our house - it may have been years - but we're doing it this year.  As far as I know, all of the kids and grandkids are coming, plus Nanny.  I got up early this morning and made a list of the old favorite dishes, went to the grocery store before the crowd arrived, and came back home and started cooking. 

Ham

Meatloaf (because The Granddaughters say "YAY!" when they find out we're having meatloaf)

Scalloped potatoes

Corn casserole

Green bean casserole

7-layer salad

Deviled eggs

Chocolate cream pie with whipped cream

Coconut cake (I cheated and bought a cake from the grocery store)

Everything is stirred up and ready to bake, except for the potatoes.  I'll cook them and the meat tomorrow.  

Because one of my sons is working night shift tonight, and the other is working day shift tomorrow, we'll be eating supper instead of lunch.  

* * * * * * * * * 

I went to visit my sister yesterday.  We've been promising to swap yard plants since last summer, but we haven't gotten together because of the virus.  Now that we've both been vaccinated, we felt safe enough to have lunch together, along with my niece and my sister's grandsons.  It sure was good to see everyone.  The weather was wonderful, and we spent a lot of time outside, admiring my sister's garden.  

I came home with a rose bush, an azalea bush, a hydrangea, some columbine, and some red lobelia.  On the drive home, I planned where to put everything, and within 30 minutes of arrival, it was all in the ground.  I'm especially stoked about the rose bush.  It is a "New Dawn," a fragrant, faintly pink climbing rose.  We had one, once upon a time, growing on an arch over a garden path, but it came down with rose rosette disease and I had to dig it up.  That was several years ago.  Hopefully, the rosette disease has left the premises by now.


No comments:

Post a Comment