Monday, April 26, 2021

Morning Pea Ponderings - April 26, 2021


I've been thinking about those purple hull pea seeds we planted a week ago.

If my recollection is correct, last year's purple hull pea seeds, planted a few days after Mother's Day, sprouted almost before I could get back to the house.

These new seeds are probably the same variety as last year's seeds.  They went in the ground a full month earlier.  It was warm when I planted them, but we got a late frost two days later.  This past weekend, it rained enough to soak the ground.  If the temps warm up this week, they ought to be poking their heads out of the dirt soon.

This is the first year that I've grown things on raised rows.  On the north end of the garden, there's a low spot that holds water after a rain.  Everything I plant there drowns unless I hold off planting until early summer, when it doesn't rain so much.  When The Husband prepared the soil this year, he pushed a little dirt to that end of the garden, but not enough to level the dip, and it was holding water yesterday after the weekend rain.  But we noticed that the raised rows he made with the hipper are above the water line.  This may help keep the plants/seeds from drowning.  The down side to that is that the dirt on the south end of the rows will probably dry out faster, and we will have to water the garden more often.

I'll wait until the end of the season to decide whether to raise the rows again next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment