Friday, April 30, 2021

New Flower Bed - April 30, 2021

 

I cranked up the little red tiller this afternoon - the one that the nephew-in-law fixed last weekend - and tilled up a new flower bed along the driveway.



When I started, I was just aiming to till up a little spot to put the zinnias.  As the tilled spot got bigger and bigger, I realized that my dirt was going to wash off the hill, so I pulled out some landscape things my sister gave me and made a fence to hold the dirt.  Aaaaannnd it needed more dirt.  A wheelbarrow full of dirt from an abandoned flower bed wasn't enough to halfway level the new bed on the hillside.  This called for a trip to the garden center to get more dirt.  I ended up spending the rent money on new plants.  

I got blue salvia, a hollyhock, a homestead verbena, an aster, and a couple of other things I can't remember.  

Those pitiful, water-logged zinnias may not make it.  I just scooped them out of the box with a trowel and set them on the dirt.  

After I watered everything, I sprinkled the rest of the pack of zinnia seeds, and the rest of a pack of larkspur seeds over the whole bed.  Oh, and a pack of bachelors buttons.  

We'll see what survives.


No comments:

Post a Comment