Friday, April 30, 2021

Squash and Zinnias - April 30, 2021

 

The zinnia sprouts were looking a little pale on the back porch, so I moved them to the patio table outside where they could get a little more sun.  Already on that table was a seed-starting tray containing squash,  zucchini, and dill seeds.  

I don't know why I planted squash and zucchini in a seed tray instead of planting them directly in the ground, as I usually do.  I raked up "hills" in the garden over a week ago, getting them ready for seeds.  Maybe the seed packets weren't in my apron pocket that day.  Whatever.   

When I moved the zinnas to the patio table, I noticed that some of the squash and zucchini seeds had sprouted and were pressing against the clear plastic "greenhouse" cover.  I took off the cover to give them some room.

Aaaaannd it rained yesterday.

Late yesterday afternoon, The Husband said, rather nonchalantly, "Your zinnias are drowning."

I jumped up from my chair and ran out to the patio to see.  Sure enough, the seedlings' heads were barely above water.  I tipped the box and drained off as much water as I could.  The whole business is a bit disheveled now, but I think I can salvage some of the plants.

That's a polonia blossom in the lower left corner - fell out of the tree above the patio.


The squash/zucchini tray was drowning, too, and it had a surprise in it; some of the tomato seeds that didn't sprout with the earlier tomatoes have now sprouted (center section).  They're hard to see in this picture, but there are also dill seedlings in the center section.  


I hope I can keep them all live until the garden dries up enough for me to plant them!



No comments:

Post a Comment