Saturday, July 13, 2024

There's no place like . . . . - July 13, 2024

HOME!

It was an OK trip.

We stayed at the Cloudland at McLemore Resort, in the mountains of north Georgia. It is not far from Cloudland Canyon State Park.  It is a 4-story hotel built on the side of a mountain, overlooking a valley -very pretty scenery.  There's not much to do in the immediate vicinity, unless you're a golfer (there's a course near the grounds) or a hiker (lots of parks within 50 miles or so).  We were there for a meeting, so The Husband wasn't able to go anywhere in the daytime, but I was.  Thursday morning,  I drove down to Fort Payne, made a quick side-trip to DeSoto Falls (where we've camped several times), and scoped out a few other places.  When the meeting ended yesterday around noon Friday, we drove over to Cloudland Canyon, peered over the overlook, but didn't hike down to the falls.  

The hotel?  I'd give it a 3 out of 5.  It was clean and quiet.  It had a pool, a spa, and 4 restaurants. The food was good, but pricey.  They offer a free drink-of-the-day for happy hour.  However, within the first few minutes of our arrival, I got stuck in our bathroom.  Yes, STUCK.  The bathroom had a sliding door that was almost impossible to slide open from inside the bathroom.  Good thing The Husband was there to let me out!  Another irksome thing was the shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispenser.  Pump any nozzle, get one drop.  (Don't think "dime"; think...peppercorn.)  Pump it again, get one more drop.  When I returned to the hotel after Thursday's sight-seeing drive, I complained to the front desk.  Friday morning, the maintenance guy came and fixed the door.  I told him about the dispensers.  It so happened that the housekeeping manager was on my floor at that moment, so the maintenance guy brought him in.  Guess what?  The dispensers were MEANT to dispense only one drop per pump.  Cost-saving decision, I reckon.  

I said to the head housekeeping honcho, "Holiday Inn doesn't treat me this way."  He basically shrugged.  

Anyway . . . . 

We got on the road the first thing this morning.  The Husband decided to take the interstate back home, which brought about a surprising coincidence.  

For almost an hour from the hotel, we deliberated about where to eat breakfast (we're not paying "resort hotel" prices for a biscuit).  Eventually, we stopped at a Burger King near the interstate, somewhere close to Manchester.  When we got in line to order, The Husband leaned over and said, "That woman at the counter looks like your cousin."  I looked over at her about the time she turned around, and it WAS her, a first cousin who had grown up next door to my house but had recently moved to east Tennessee, 30 miles or so from Manchester.  She was on her way back to our county for her dad's birthday dinner this weekend.  

What were the chances of that meeting?  

Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket today.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment