Sunday, July 28, 2024

Pottery class - July 28, 2024

I bet you're wondering how yesterday's "Introduction to the Potter's Wheel" class went.

It was fun.  

It was taught by a perky little blonde girl about 1/3 of my age, who knew her stuff.

There were about 10 other people in the class.  Each of us took a station at a potter's wheel.  We were given a bucket of water, some sponges, a tool, and three lumps of pre-conditioned clay that were already centered on square tiles that fit onto pegs on the wheel.  We were to make (1) a bowl, (2) a plate, and (3) a "do-you-own-thing."  The class lasted for 2 hours, after which we cleaned our stations, buckets, and sponges, and we chose a color to glaze our pieces, which will be fired and ready for pickup in a couple of weeks.

Working with the clay was fun.  I made two bowls and a saucer to fit under one of the bowls.  I meant to poke drainage holes in one bowl, intending to use it with the saucer for growing violets.  But I forgot to poke the holes.  It's no big deal.  (None of the violets on my windowsill are in pots that have holes in them.)    

While I was in the big city before class, I stopped by the art supply store for a paintbrush and to see if they sell watercolor paints in half-pans.  My new travel paints came in 12 colors from which, theoretically, I could stir up pretty much any color under the sun.  


I wished the set had included Payne's Gray instead of black.  They didn't sell watercolors in pans, but they did sell empty half-pans.  I have Payne's Gray in a tube, which I can squirt into an empty pan.  I bought 6 of them, hoping they'd drop right into the tin.  And they did!  (Kind of.)  So, this morning, I added a few of my go-to colors:



I guess I should leave the lid open until the squirts dry up.  Considering the current humidity level here, that may take a month!






No comments:

Post a Comment