Thursday, June 10, 2021

Birthday cake - June 10, 2021

 

Granddaughter #3 has a birthday coming up this weekend.  Though she probably had a good bit of input from her older sisters, she asked for an orange creamsicle cake.

Two years ago, I made her an orange creamsicle birthday cake with cream cheese frosting and dropped it on the ground on the way to the party.   I am hoping for better luck this year.

Of course, I did not save the recipe, and several days' worth of internet searches turned up a good many orange creamsickle cake recipes, none of which looked familiar.  I picked out one of the recipes, and also a recipe for a mousse-like filling and one for cream cheese frosting.  Bought all the stuff, plus some extra stuff, yesterday.  (Some of the recipes called for poking holes in the cake and filling the holes with orange Jello.  I am still undecided about that, but I bought the Jello, just in case.)  

I made the cake today.  The two layers collapsed into moist patties the instant they came out of the oven.  It's no wonder; the cake had 3/4 cup of oil and a box of vanilla pudding in it.  I'm not sure I want to use these layers.

There was a box of white cake mix in the pantry.  I substituted orange crush for the water and baked two more layers.  They just came out of the oven and seem a little spongy.  I poked holes in one of the new layers and scooped half-set Jello into the holes.  We may end up with a 4-layer cake.

* * * * * * * * 

After supper we went down to the garden to lay down "my" cardboard in the middles.  Horseflies started attacking the truck as we went down the driveway, and they followed us to the garden.  Then the mosquitoes joined the party.  We didn't work more than 45 minutes, and I am covered in bites.

I really wanted to clean off the butterbean(less) rows so I can plant some new seeds, but the ground is just too wet to work.

The tomatoes are getting blight.  I cut off a bunch of leaves yesterday.  They need to be sprayed for blight, but IT WON'T QUIT RAINING.  Rumor has it that it's supposed to fair off this weekend.  I am anxious to get to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment