Monday, June 21, 2021

Father's Day, Butterbeans Up! and Bananas - June 21, 2021

 

We had a nice Father's Day.  We invited the kids and the folks on the hill for a cookout.  One of our sons and his family are out of town, but the other one was here, as were Nanny, The Nephew, and The Sister- and Brother-in-Law.  We fed them grilled steaks and chicken, cheesy scalloped potatoes, green beans from last year's garden, a green salad, and banana pudding.  The men-folk ragged on us ladies about having to grill their own steaks, until we reminded them who has cooked Mother's Day dinner since the beginning of time.

After work today, I went straight to the garden to check on things.  

The butterbeans are coming up!  FINALLY!  There are skippy places in the rows, but I'll give the seeds another day or two to sprout before I replant the skips.  

Two tomatoes will be ready to eat in a day or so.  I could've picked one of them today, but decided to let it ripen one more day.  It's a low-hanging tomato.  If a critter gets it tonight, I'm going to be furious.  Perhaps I should re-think leaving it in the garden overnight.

I picked a handful of squash and gave them to Nanny for her supper.  

The garden needs water.  I had hoped for rain today - the weatherman predicted a 100% chance - but it has mostly gone south of us.  Looking at my phone weather app, it looks like there might be a straggling cloud or two that might give us a little relief.  And my phone just announced that lightning has been detected in my area.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  If it doesn't rain by tomorrow afternoon, I'll have to drag out the water hoses.

I am tentatively hopeful about the tomato plants.  After last week's fungicide regimen, I'm not seeing any new leaf spot damage.  The plant I sprayed with the hydrogen peroxide and water mixture doesn't seem to have minded the treatment.  I'll probably do the rest of the tomatoes with the peroxide, and follow up a couple of days later with fungicide.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen social media posts about fermenting banana peels in water, and using the water as fertilizer.  A week ago, I cut up two banana peels and put them in a quart jar, which I then filled with water and capped with a lid.  I set the jar beside the kitchen sink so I wouldn't forget about it.  Little bubbles would occasionally rise to the top.  This past Saturday I took the jar to the garden, mixed the banana water with a gallon of plain water, and poured it around the roots of the six  puniest plants.  We'll see if they suddenly grow muscles.

And since there were peels from the Father's Day banana pudding, I started another jar.










No comments:

Post a Comment