Sunday, June 27, 2021

Garden Check-Up - June 27, 2021

 I spent an hour or two both mornings this weekend just piddling around in the vegetable garden.  Added a few more cardboard boxes, and rearranged some of the old ones.  The cardboard has reduced our weeding by more than half.  Of course, grass/weeds sprout from both sides of the cardboard.  I've been chopping/pulling it out by hand, and throwing what I pull up onto the cardboard to help hold the cardboard down and kill the roots of what I've just pulled up.  Once it has dried up, I move it to the compost heap.

Butterbeans coming along.  They sprouted HUGE.


The tomatoes are holding their own (knock on wood).  A sprayer full of peroxide-water and one full of liquid copper fungicide and liquid Seven sit near the rows, ready to douse anything that shows up.  I believe that the peroxide-water spray is helping to keep fungus down.  If a plant seems infected, I spray both of its neighbors, too, even if they're not showing signs of infection.  

Those fungi and bugs better stay away, if they know what's good for 'em.  Cucumbers producing enough that we'll be making relish soon.

The oldest green beans are beginning to bloom.  The new ones at the other end of the row are coming along nicely.  Squash plants are producing about all the squash we want, with a little to give away.  The picture doesn't show it, but I raked up more pine needles this morning and used it to pave the middle between the squash and the green beans.  Okra (between the beans and the tomatoes) is starting to grow.






No comments:

Post a Comment