Monday, June 28, 2021

Butternuts, Bugs and Birthdays - June 28, 2021

 

I went back to the garden yesterday about 4 p.m. simply because I had nothing else I wanted to do.  Over the weekend, while digging around in the freezer, I found a zip-lock bag full of seed packets that I'd ordered last year - brussels sprouts, broccoli, butternut squash, peas, carrots, lettuce - and wanted to plant a couple of hills of butternut squash.  Weeded the butterbean rows.  Turned the compost pile.  Pruned the squash plants.  While pruning, I found squash bugs, so I picked all the squash, got out the sprayer, and nixed the destructive little monsters.

While I was working, Nanny's driveway started to fill up with cars.  It was her 80th birthday, and we were going to celebrate with a cookout and birthday cake.  

Earlier in the day, The Husband had gone out to buy food for the cookout and to look for a birthday present for Nanny.  He came home with a putter, an indoor putting green, and a box of golf balls.

As far as I know, Nanny had never even held a golf club, but she loves to watch golf on television.  (This is something I do not understand; I'd sooner watch paint dry, but to each his own, I reckon.)  

We wrapped the putting green, stuck the golf balls in a gift bag, and then tried to figure out how to disguise the golf club.  The Husband stuck the wrapping paper tube over the handle of the club, and put an empty toilet paper roll over the head of the club.  I tied a huge bow, which we used to hide the toilet paper roll.  When the wrapping was finished, the golf club looked like a giant scepter.  Before she opened it, she used it to "dub" everybody in the room with love.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment