Monday, June 7, 2021

Rain (again!) - June 7, 2021

 

The sun was shining when I came home from work today.  Yesterday the garden was almost dry enough to work.  I should've taken my butt straight to the garden to get the grass out of the butterbean(less) row and plant the butterbean seeds that finally came.  

But I didn't.

I needed to go try Granddaughter #3's dress on her so that I can hem it and sew the buttons on.  I was also itching to smooch Granddaughter #4.  But, first, I wanted to work on some t-shirts I've been intending to do for the grandchildren.  They're baseball-style shirts.  The girls' shirts (and a matching one for my daughter-in-law) are light gray with aqua sleeves; the boys' shirts ("boys" includes my sons and The Husband) are gray with navy sleeves.  My intention was to do some vinyl designs on them.

When I asked The Granddaughters what designs they wanted on their shirts, Granddaughter #1 said she wanted an infinity symbol made out of dog paw prints.  Granddaughter #2 said she wanted a Batman logo (yeah,  the same granddaughter that wanted the superhero quilt).  Granddaughter #3 said she wanted a unicorn on hers.  As she was wearing a unicorn shirt during this conversation, I begged off on doing another unicorn (but I have since re-considered).  The Daughter-in-Law asked for her monogram on her shirt.

Anyway . . . . 

I came in and got to work on the shirts.  I'd done the infinity shirt last week and had already given it to #1. The Batman logo and the monogram were finished and just needed to be transferred from the computer to the cutting machine.  I copied the files to a jump drive and fired up the cutting machine.

The vinyl is sparkly aqua glitter vinyl that matches the shirts.  This stuff has a thick plastic "transfer" sheet on top of it, and it has to be cut upside-down without cutting through the transfer sheet.  And the cutting design has to be backwards so that it's right-side-up when the vinyl is adhered to the fabric.  

Well, guess what?  

First, I forgot to cut it upside-down.  Fortunately, the cutting blade didn't cut through the plastic, so I flipped the vinyl over and cut again.  

And guess what else?

I'd forgotten to flip the design backwards.  So that piece of vinyl went in the trash.  And that sucks, because the stuff is expensive, and I hate to waste it.

Anyway, I finally cut out an acceptable Batman logo and a nice monogram and got them onto the shirts without a problem.  Then I decided to do a onesie for Granddaughter #4.  I was going to put "Queen Bee" on the front, but I tore up the "Bee" trying to weed the centers of the "e"s.   Plan B:  just use  "Queen" - and I put it on the back because she chews on her shirt fronts.  And since I had one plain white t-shirt in Granddaughter #3's size, it got the word "Fabulous" (so she wouldn't feel left out of the t-shirt-gifting).  

I'll work on the unicorn some other time.

And now it's raining, so I probably can't plant butterbeans tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment