Saturday, June 5, 2021

Out-lasting the sun - June 5, 2021

 

Rain was predicted for today, but it was sunny when I got up this morning.  My intention was to go to the garden fairly early; the tomatoes have grown and need to be tied to the fence.

But since The Husband wasn't up yet - I just knew he'd want to help with the tomatoes - I poured myself some coffee, snatched a fig newton from the cookie jar, and went out to the porch to read emails before I hit the garden.  The Husband got up an hour later and made omelets, and while we were eating them, I said, "We need to go tie up the tomatoes."  He nodded like he agreed.

I came back out to the porch to work on an embroidery design while my omelet digested.  It's an applique poodle - three of them, really - that will go on The Granddaughter's poodle skirt and matching handbag.  When I finished the design and went inside to sew it, I realized that I ought to finish sewing the dress together and try it on The Granddaughter before I embroider the poodles on the skirt in case the hem needs shortening.

While I was doing these things, The Husband began to putter around outside.  He washed the Wrangler and fixed the strap that keeps the door from flying all the way backward when the Jeep is parked downhill (that's what broke the strap).  Some time later, I looked up, and he was doing a ukulele lesson on the internet.  I hated to disturb him, so I decided to go ahead and make the little handbag that goes with the dress.  

Then Nanny made a quick stop to drop off something, saying, "I need to get home before it rains."

And I looked outside, and the sky was darkening, and I said, "Shoot.  We never got to the tomatoes," so I poured a glass of lemonade and spiked it with some pineapple rum, and brought it out to the porch.

I heard the rain coming before it got here.

It's supposed to rain all week.  

Hang in there, tomatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment