Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Memorable Day - June 2, 2021

 

Granddaughter #3, Marley, age 6, likes to sew.  When she comes to visit, she heads straight to the sewing room, picks out some fabric from the scrap basket, and gets to work.  Here's one of her creations:


Actually, there's not a single stitch in this necklace, but it's cute.  ;)

A few weeks ago, I said to her, "One of these days, you and I are going to go to the fabric store, and you can pick out a pattern and some fabric, and you and I will make you a dress."  

She has not let me forget that promise.

I also made a promise to my sister a couple of weeks ago.  She has a lovely backyard garden where she grows a variety of hydrangea bushes (among other things).  She called me one day and invited me to come see the hydrangeas when they were in bloom.  She said she'd let me know when they were ready.  One day last week, she gave me the nod; the hydrangeas were doing there thing, and I could come any time.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I considered making good on both of my promises.  But the weather was really nice, and we had a lot of catch-up work to do in our yard and in the garden, and I spent the weekend working outside.

Yesterday was a nasty, drizzly day.  The Boss came in and said that she was tired (I was, too!) and that we were not going to stay at the office very long.  This seemed like a good time to keep my promises.

I called Marley's mom to see if I could kidnap Marley for the afternoon, and she said yes.  I called my sister to see if she was free, and she was.  I picked up Marley about noon, and we headed for the big city.

Our first stop was the fabric store.  Marley sat down at the pattern book table and thumbed through the pattern listings.  It didn't take her long to find the dress she wanted.

She wants the blue dress, which she decided she can wear without a shirt underneath.

I thought it was a fine choice. 

Unfortunately, the fabric store was out-of-stock on that pattern.  I told Marley I'd order the pattern online, and we proceeded to shop for fabric.  She picked out a black fabric with tiny white daisies on it, and she also picked out a solid pink fabric in case we need to make two dresses.  ;)

We went to my sister's house when we left the fabric store.  We toured her garden and had a nice visit.

On the way home, we stopped at another fabric store to see if they had the pattern she wanted, and they did!  

We came straight home, cleaned off the cutting table, and went to work.  Marley chose to use the daisy-print fabric.  She helped pin the pattern in place and even cut out a piece or two, all by herself.  I will work on the sewing this week.

When we finished the cutting, she asked if we could make "pizza sticks" for supper.  This is a dish we invented one night when she and her family made a surprise visit to my house at dinnertime on a night when I had not planned to cook.  I had a pizza crust, some pepperoni, and some string cheese in the refrigerator.  We cut the dough in strips and wrapped the pepperoni and cheese in it.  A can of store-bought sauce made decent dipping sauce.  If Marley had her way, we'd make pizza sticks every time she visits.  She enjoys making them more than she enjoys eating them.  We made them last night.

We took her home about 8 p.m. (though she really wanted to stay the night).  

Her family had missed her.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment