Thursday, August 8, 2024

Fall Garden - August 8, 2024

This evening, the community garden "plot partners" met at the local Extension Office to talk about planting fall garden plots.  There were free seeds, but I didn't take any; I'd already bought my seeds.  I did sign the county mayor's office up to have a plot next year. 

I will probably just plant mustard greens in our plot.  It will be a while before I'm ready to pull up the tomatoes.  Last week - or maybe the week before - I planted three hills of summer squash, and they will probably be producing until nearly time for frost.  

After the meeting, I went down to Nanny's to check on our garden.  The Southernpeas I planted last week have started to come up.  The squash looks like it's about done.  The butterbeans have runners on them and are grabbing hold of the fence.  The tomatoes look awful and probably ought to be pulled up.  The same goes for the cucumbers. The okra is being stingy with blooms.  But the two late rows of purple hull peas will need picking in the next few days.  Everything needs water, and there's no rain in next week's forecast.  Looks like I'll have to drag out the waterhose this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment