Wednesday, August 5, 2020

From the back porch - August 5, 2020


After yesterday's post, I went to the garden to pick the squash.  

This squash is totally out of control, and is showing no signs of letting up.  It is still blooming like crazy.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the "pruning" I've been doing after watching a video that recommended taking off some of the leaves to increase air flow, make the blooms more visible to the pollenators, and prolong production.  

Of course, I couldn't just pick squash and quit.  The okra needed cutting.  The peppers needed picking.  A few tomatoes were nice and red.  The cucumber vines had cucumbers sticking out in plain sight, so I had to get those, too.  The cucumbers were grassy, so I waded in and pulled up much of it.  

When I looked up, The Husband was chopping the grass from the new pea rows.  I grabbed another hoe and helped him.  I'd planted those new rows pretty close together, and the plants are almost touching their neighbors in the next row.  We may not be able to weed those rows much longer.  Maybe they'll shade out the bulk of the grass.

Before leaving the garden for the evening, I checked on the tomatoes to see how they were faring after the scalping and spraying I gave them over the weekend.  Happily, they look much better.

Incredibly, a few more butterbeans had sprouted in the two or three hours since I'd checked them after work.  In fact, I am pretty sure that even more sprouted WHILE I WAS IN THE GARDEN.  

The potatoes in the tub in the back yard are punching leaves through the soil.  

I am ecstatic over the way the garden has produced this year.  







No comments:

Post a Comment