Saturday, August 1, 2020

Butterbeans, Butter Peas, and Sweet Peas - August 1, 2020


It's a really nice day to sit on the back porch.  Right now, it's overcast and about 70 degrees.  We had a pretty good rain last night, so it's too wet to work in the garden.  I haven't yet decided what to do with my time today.  




While at work yesterday morning, I got an email that said my butterbean seeds had been delivered.  Since I'd heard rain during the night, I figured the ground would be too wet to plant, and so I made plans to do some genealogy research when I got home from work.

On the way home, I stopped by the garden store for fertilizer and fungus killer, and some fire ant killer for Nanny's yard.  As promised in the email, the seeds were in my mailbox.  I left it all in the car and came inside to do my research.  After a while, I went out to the car to look for a notebook, and when I opened the car door, the smell of all those chemicals wafted out.  I decided to take them on down to the garden shed so they wouldn't stink up my car.

And guess what?  The garden wasn't very wet at all.  The top layer was dry as a bone, and beneath the  dry crust, the ground was perfectly moist for planting.  I grabbed those seed packets and a hoe and got busy.  I had enough seeds for 2 half rows of butterbeans, 2 half rows of butter peas, and 2 half rows of sweet peas.  It's supposed to rain this weekend.  Maybe those seeds will pop right out of the ground.

After planting the seeds, I picked squash AGAIN.  Land sakes, the stuff grows fast!  Knowing that it was supposed to rain later, I picked every squash over 2" long.  Brought it home and made a squash casserole for supper and froze the rest.  I'll need the space where the squash growing when I can get my hands on some fall vegetable plants, but I hate to pull it up now, with it still making like crazy.  We'll just keep giving it away, I reckon.







No comments:

Post a Comment