Monday, August 24, 2020

Cabbages In, Fertilized Sweet Peas - August 24, 2020

 

I stopped at the garden center after work to see what kind of fall vegetables they had.  Came home with a 6-pack of cabbages, a 6-pack of broccoli, and a 6-pack of brussels sprouts.  

I planted the cabbages at the vacant ends of the butterbean rows.  This was probably a mistake, as the butterbeans may wrap them up, but my planting space is quickly filling up.

The broccoli and brussels sprouts did not get planted.  Well, two broccoli did.  But the ground was really too wet, so I've saved the rest of the plants for a dryer day.

I did manage to put up a half-assed support system for the sweet peas.  Just pencil-thin bamboo canes with jute twine stretched between them.  The jute will probably sag and stretch when it gets wet (seems like I've been down that path, already), but maybe it will at least keep the plants off the ground until I can come up with better supplies.

I side-dressed the sweet peas and a few of the tomatoes with pelletized fertilizer.





No comments:

Post a Comment