Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Butterbean (singular) up - August 4, 2020


I turned straight down Nanny's driveway when I came home from work today.  My mission was to inspect the garden and then come home and plan my evening.  We've had rain since I sprayed the tomatoes, and I wanted to check for bugs and blight and stuff, to see if I needed to haul my butt out there and do something or take another day off from gardening.  

One butterbean is up.  Well, almost up.  It's trying.  The ground is a tad crusty, but it looked moist underneath where the bean cracked it.  I wonder if misting the garden tonight would loosen the soil for the beans, or make the crust harder tomorrow when the sun beats down on it.  

But misting the garden will culminate in me being pissed off at the world.  For starters, the water hose that's connected to Nanny's house is located in a potential snake pit.  Nanny is certain that a snake lives under the porch.  I'm half scared to get in there to turn on the spigot and unwind the hose.  I have to fight my way between a big hydrangea and a monstrous clematis that yanks my hat off every time.  The water hose, itself, is silver and makes me think SNAKE! every time I see it.  Then there's the hose cart that stays in the garden.  It's got 300 feet of hose wound on it and weighs a ton, and it's a pain in the butt to drag it out and hook it up.  And then it all has to be put back.  

The butterbean package said they should sprout in 7 - 10 days.  We're only on day 3.  

Yeah, maybe I'll wait another day to do the misting, and see how they're doing tomorrow.

But I do need to go pick the squash.  Some of it is already too big.  
 
And a few of the new tomatoes still need to be staked or caged.  All of my stakes and cages are piled onto an old trailer at the edge of the woods.  

Weeds.  Spiders.  Snakes.  Wasps.  This will require boots and gloves.  

Yeah, maybe I'll wait another day for that, too.  ;)




   

No comments:

Post a Comment