Sunday, August 2, 2020

From the back porch - August 2, 2020




Doesn't the garden look nice?


Left to right:  (1) new purple hull peas, with cucumbers at the far end; (2) a row of tomatoes that you can't see, (3) squash, (4) butterbean rows planted yesterday, with okra at the end, and (5) a row of tomatoes and peppers.  The sweet peas are at the far end of the garden, between the okra and the cucumbers.  The tomatoes have blight something awful.  I'm going to spray them today if it doesn't rain.

I hardly knew what to do with myself yesterday, with the ground too wet to work in the garden.  After breakfast, I sewed a new mask pattern to see if it was more bearable to wear than others I've made, but I made the ear straps too short and it folded up my ears and rolled off them.  *sigh*  I could've undone the seams and put in longer ear straps, but I was too bored to fool with it.  It will probably fit one of The Granddaughters, so all is not lost. 

Having abandoned the sewing, I brought my mandolin out to the back porch and practiced a while.  Still working on "I'll Fly Away."  I've got the basic melody down fairly well and am trying to figure out some good double stops and fills.  Yesterday, I ran across a play-along video for a simple version of "Georgia."  I didn't like the way he was strumming it, and it seemed to be missing some chord changes, so I searched for a tab.  Holy mackerel . . . if I ever get all those chord changes down, I'm going to print myself a diploma, or something.

When my fingers got sore, I went to the garden to pick tomatoes.  (Since they are on the outside row, I could stand in the grass and pick them, and not have to wade in mud.)  There were only about 10, but most of them were pretty big.  I  made spaghetti sauce with them.  We'll have it tonight for supper.







No comments:

Post a Comment