Thursday, August 6, 2020

Butternut Squash and Fertilizing - August 6, 2020


Home Depot had a little pack of butternut squash seeds.  I bought them and planted 3 hills, and had some seeds left over.  I'm saving them for next year.  

Speaking of saving seeds, I saved the purple hull peas that dried up on the vines.  They're laid out on a table on the back porch.  They need to be shelled (I guess - need to research this) and put away.  But I'm too lazy to do it right now.

After planting the butternut squash, I hooked up the hoses and dosed the new peas with plant food.  There was still blue water in the sprayer when I finished the peas, so I just fertilized everything in the garden, except the okra - even the new butterbeans.  

The sweet peas aren't up yet.  The ground looked awfully dry and crusty on top, so I gave it a misting.  The seed package said they'd sprout in 7-10 days.  I planted them last Friday, so I'm not worried yet.  I also misted the soil where I planted the broccoli and brussels sprouts yesterday.  Maybe it'll help those tiny little seeds swell up and grow.

The Husband has been a slacker for the past couple of days, but we shall change that trend tomorrow.  There's a pile of cucumber vines and grass the size of a Volkswagen at the edge of the garden, and he knows how to use a pitchfork.

Maybe I should suggest that he may need to fire up his new tractor and use the bucket.  ;)

After my lizard rant the other day, I washed off the settee cushions and emptied a can of Febreeze on them.  My hope is that when he flicks out his tongue in the vicinity of the settee, it comes back tasting awful, and he won't go near it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment