Saturday, August 15, 2020

Butternut Squash Up - August 15, 2020

 

The whole point of this post is to remind me what day the butternut squash came up.  I planted them on the 6th, and here it is the 15th.  That's nine days, but they actually came up YESTERDAY, so let's say eight days.

The butterbeans, butterpeas, and purple hull peas round deux are showing off, but I'm not too thrilled with the sweet peas.  It seemed to take them a long time to come up, and there are a good many skips in the rows. Plus, they have looks on their faces like, "Oh, geeez, it's too hot!"  Perhaps they'll look better if it cools off next week.  Before they start growing, I need to figure out a support system.  I have hog wire and metal fence posts, and I planted the rows fairly close together, so I might be able to run one fence for both rows.

Next year, I may plant the sweet peas next to the okra, and let the okra be the support system.  I don't remember what variety of okra this is, but its stalks are more like trunks.  It is over my head.  It would surely hold the peas, but . . . do I want to pick peas in an itchy okra patch?

Maybe not.  

The squash needs picking and the okra needs cutting.  The garden might not be too muddy.  I ought to go do it.  Maybe I will, when it cools off a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment