Monday, August 17, 2020

From the back porch - August 17, 2020

 

I was pretty near worthless this weekend.  For the past few months, working in the garden has eaten up all of my leisure hours.  The recent lull in gardening activity (the garden is sort of on auto-pilot for a few days, due to weather and recent plantings) has left me with time on my hands and nothing to do with it. I don't have any projects in progress, which is an unusual situation.   I don't want to start a new project, for this gardening lull is surely a temporary thing.

We did do a little bit of work in the garden Saturday afternoon.  We gave away a bucket of squash and a pile of okra, but kept the dozen or so tomatoes that we picked.  Since then, I've eaten tomatoes at every meal.  They are too precious to waste.




This is where I planted sweet peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, and butternut squash.  This end of the garden is contrary, but there was empty space after I pulled up the cucumbers and purple hull peas, so . . . . 

Butternut squash coming up!

As the weekend came to a close, I sat on the back porch playing computer solitaire in the dark.  The owls in the trees behind the house were chattering like crazy.  I went inside to get my phone, intending to record them, but they moved deeper in the woods and I didn't get a good recording.  But while I was using the voice recorder, I found all sorts of recordings I didn't know I had, some of which my grandchildren had made without my knowing it.  Those were fun to listen to.  

I also found a recording of myself singing "Happy Birthday" to my niece.  Ugh!  I hate hearing my own voice, especially singing.  I deleted that recording, but a few minutes later I decided that I should have kept it to send to my niece for her next birthday, and every birthday after that, for as long as I am alive to send it.  I looked everywhere for "recently deleted" stuff, but couldn't find it.  Finally, I said, "Siri, show me my recently deleted voice recordings," and it worked!  The birthday song is back!

That Siri is a smart woman.





No comments:

Post a Comment