Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Shopping for School Supplies - August 12, 2020

 

While The Grandson was with me yesterday, I asked him if his parents had bought his school supplies yet.  He said they had not, so I donned my mask and did something I have not done in months: I went to Walmart - early, in an effort to miss crowds - with a supply list in hand.  At the checkout counter, my shopping cart contained maybe $50 worth of stuff that was not on the supply list.  The total bill?  $197.00.

Jeeeeeez.  Well over $100.  For one kid.  And that doesn't include clothes or shoes.  (The shoe-shopping trip, including socks and shoe-funk-repellent, set me back another $100.)  

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was in school, I don't recall school supplies being a budget buster.  I don't even recall a supply list.  We were expected to show up with a 3-ring notebook, a package of "filler paper," and a pencil.  Those were the days, eh?

* * * * * * 

When I went to the garden to pick squash this evening, I was so sure that it would be a mud pit that I wore my mud boots and took another pair of shoes to wear home.  The ground looked relatively dry in most places.  Crusty, even.  I figured that it was a trap, that below the dry crust was a gushy ooze, but much to my surprise, I didn't sink anywhere.  Barely left footprints.  

There's some grass coming up in the rows where the new butterbeans and butterpeas are growing.  For about 30 seconds, I considered getting out a hoe and chopping it down.  But then . . . nah.  It was really hot and muggy, and those wetter places I mentioned were in those rows.  Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment